Homeowners Bill and Joyce in Leominster, MA were tired of fuel oil prices and were ready for a greener solution to home heating and cooling. Joyce contacted EnergySmart in September when their air conditioning system quit working. Within a few days of her call we visited their home to assess the property for geothermal.
- The house had pre-existing ductwork;
- The house was heated with fuel oil (see photo on right);
- The air conditioning needed to be replaced;
- The front yard had plenty of space for drilling;
- The walk-out basement made equipment delivery very convenient;
- The homeowners are eligible for the 30% Federal Tax Credit for geothermal installations; and
- Residents of Leominster are eligible for 0% interest loans through the Mass Save Heat Loan program.
Drilling consisted of two 6-inch diameter borings with a depth of 250 feet each. Pipes were installed into each of the borings and sealed in place with geothermal grout. The pipes were brought into the house through 2.5-inch cores through the concrete foundation approximately 4-feet below grade and were connected to the geothermal heat pump.
The existing oil furnace, oil tank, and air conditioning condenser were removed as the unit will provide both heating and cooling. The geothermal unit was placed in the location of the old oil furnace. Although the homeowners have a new propane fueled on-demand water heater, a desuperheater was included with the geothermal unit should they decide to utilize the hot-water assist feature in the future. A new programmable EnergyStar heat pump thermostat with LED display replaced their old thermostat. We also provided a power meter that will monitor electricity use by the geothermal heat pump in real-time.
- Same piece of equipment provides heating and cooling (see photo on right);
- Hot water-assist feature can be activated in the future;
- Re-usable electrostatic air filter improves air quality and decreases waste;
- Oil tank is removed thus improving indoor air quality;
- No combustion for heating thus eliminating carbon monoxide risk;
- Highly efficient heating and cooling; and
- Adjustable fan speed allows for superior dehumidification in the summer
“Looking forward to not having to purchase oil any longer!”
“Couldn’t be happier with the installation or all of you at EnergySmart Alternatives!”