Since 2014, the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) has offered rebates for geothermal installations. As of November 24, 2019, EnergySmart has secured 92 rebates for homeowners totaling over $815,000!
Navigating the rebate requirements can be cumbersome. Here is a list of steps you should take to participate in the rebate program:
- Determine whether you qualify
If your electricity is provided by National Grid, Eversource, Unitil, or a Municipal Light Plant in Ashburnham, Holden, Holyoke, Russell or Templeton, then you are eligible.
- Call Mass Save and schedule a Home Energy Assessment
A Home Energy Assessment is required to participate in the geothermal rebate program. To schedule your Home Energy Assessment contact Mass Save.
- Choose a geothermal installer
A list of pre-qualified geothermal installers can be found on the MassCEC website.
You can find out how many rebates each installer has obtained and the types of projects they have completed by downloading the Project Database.
- Have the geothermal installer complete the rebate paperwork on your behalf
You will be asked to provide the date of your Mass Save Home Energy Assessment, your signature on a Participant’s Agreement, and a copy of your electric bill. The installer will be able to tell you the value of your rebate once the paperwork is complete.
- Wait for MassCEC approval and then install the geothermal system
- Have the geothermal installer complete the final rebate paperwork
You will be asked to sign the final paperwork verifying that the system was installed.
- Wait three weeks for your check to arrive
The check may be written directly to you or to the installer.